Age: 25 (12/05/91)
Pro Since: 2013
Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski was born in Marshall, Virginia in 1991. Growing up he was a keen swimmer, played lacrosse and ran cross-country. In fact it wasn't until his early teens that he discovered his passion for cycling. Joe began riding competitively as a Fauquier High freshman in 2006, but concentrated mainly on mountain biking and cyclocross. Although he trained on the road, he was reluctant at first to make the jump into the peloton. “I was into mountain biking at the time, so road racing seemed boring to me. However once I started doing it and understanding it, I really started to enjoy it".
Joe quickly added road racing to his repertoire in 2009 after joining the Haymarket Bicycles team where he competed in races around the Mid-Atlantic. In 2010 he burst into the limelight with a string of impressive rides in regional events, including a win at the Virginia State Hill Climb Championships, where he beat pro mountain biker Jeremiah Bishop by more than two minutes. Later that year he was offered a trial with Trek-Livestrong development team at the Tour of Utah. JD didn't disappoint and they quickly moved to make him a permanent part of their 2011 roster.
Joe split the next two years riding with the national U-23 team, which allowed him to compete in races across Europe, and the renamed Bontrager-Livestrong team. He acquired invaluable race experience in this process and continued to enhance his growing reputation with a number of strong rides. Most notably a jaw dropping performance in the 10-day "Girobio", the junior race to the Giro d’Italia. On the race’s toughest stage - which included more than 18,000 total feet of climbing - Dombrowski blitzed the opposition. The stage victory was his second of the race and good enough to secure top position in the overall GC. It was the first time an American had won the Baby Giro and it wasn't long before a number of UCI pro teams came knocking on his door.
Joe signed for Team Sky in 2013 and although the first half of his season was interrupted by a knee injury, he finished the year strongly with credible performances in China and Japan. However the knee pain resurfaced in 2014 and Joe was forced to sit out the first half of the season again. When he returned, he only managed to finish two races before a loss of power in his left leg required surgery, resulting in a premature end to his season.
In 2015, Joe joined the newly branded "Cannondale-Garmin“ team and made a solid start to the season with a top ten finish at the Tour de San Luis. In May, he lead the team at the Tour of California and an impressive weeks riding saw him secure a top five position in the Overall GC. He maintained his superb form throughout the summer with a podium finish at the National Championships before winning a stage and the Overall GC at the Tour of Utah. In September, Joe closed out the season strongly by finishing his first Grand Tour, the Vuelta a Espana, where he caught the eye with a couple of impressive rides on the hillier stages.All photography provided courtesy of Graham Watson and Cannondale-Drapac.
Website by @TrinitySports_.
'Cross is boss, y'all! How good does my Dombrewski kit match my Cannondale?! 📸 Thanks Jay Wescott https://t.co/dlfsFJWByv
Building up the latest addition to the stable. I dig the baby blue 👌🏽 https://t.co/yiMYq6J8o8
Dombro cheering section somewhere on top of a mountain in Italy! https://t.co/nUDP6AM5od
My mom told me when I smile my cheeks seem bigger in the offseason. Don't think she realizes that'd be like calling a teenage daughter fat.
- 8th Giro d'Italia: Stage 15
- 3rd Giro d'Italia: Stage 20
- 34th Giro d'Italia: Overall GC
- 5th Tour of Utah: Stage 7
- 8th Tour of Utah: Overall GC
- 7th Tour de San Luis: Stage 6
- 7th Tour de San Luis: Overall GC
- 10th Tour of California: Stage 3
- 4th Tour of California: Stage 7
- 4th Tour of California: Overall GC
- 2nd National Championship, Road, Elite
- 24th Tour de Suisse: Overall GC
- 1st Tour of Utah: Stage 6
- 9th Tour of Utah: Stage 7
- 1st Tour of Utah: Overall GC
- 15th Vuelta a Espana: Stage 11
- 26th Tour of California: Overall GC
- 1st Giro del Trentino: Stage 1 part b
- 10th Tour de Suisse: Stage 7
- 3rd Österreich-Rundfahrt: Stage 1
- 19th Tour of Beijing: Overall GC
- 7th Japan Cup
- 2nd Tour of the Gila: Stage 1
- 3rd Tour of the Gila: Stage 3
- 2nd Tour of the Gila: Overall GC
- 4th Tour of California: Stage 7
- 12th Tour of California: Overall GC
- 1st Baby Giro: Stages 4 & 8
- 1st Baby Giro: Overall GC
- 3rd Tour of Utah: Stage 5
- 6th Tour of Utah: Stage 6
- 4th Tour of Utah: Overall GC
- 7th USA Pro Cycling Challenge: Stages 2 & 6
- 8th USA Pro Cycling Challenge: Stage 4
- 10th USA Pro Cycling Challenge: Overall GC
- 3rd Tour of the Gila: Stages 1 & 5
- 3rd Ronde de l'Isard d'Ariége: Overall GC
- 2nd Giro della Valle d'Aosta: Stage 3
- 1st Giro della Valle d'Aosta: Stage 5
- 3rd Giro della Valle d'Aosta: Stage 6
- 2nd Giro della Valle d'Aosta: Overall GC